Thursday 14 January 2016

THE HIV/AIDS SIDE OF FUNDONG: MEETING WITH AN OUTSTANDING PATIENT!

Tung Helllimina in front of an arts and craft shop in Fundong!
My trip to Fundong was a smooth one on a road trip. Even with the countless police check-points, I was able to get there in less than two hours. Being the capital of Boyo Division, Fundong is blessed with water and electricity, even though both can be described as epileptic. The cuts are constant and yet it is no surprise because the population has gotten used to it.

Despite the fact that I went to Fundong to follow up on some work I did for an NGO some time ago, I was happy that the mission led me to meet this outstanding leader, with a big heart, and beautiful soul -- Mme. Tung Hellimina. She is the President of a women's farming group, but as fate would have it, she shared her HIV experience with me as our discussion proceeded. When I approached her and told her that I was looking for women in leadership positions in Fundong, she stood up from a chair where she was sitting almost lost and gave me a handshake. As our hands met, the active sense of touch in me told me that something was wrong with her. Her feel was hot. Gently, I carried my head back to her face, then I found out her jaws were sinking. Her eyes were deep. Here lips were dry. Her voice was kind of coming from a distance. But thank God, she was looking stable because she could talk well, walk well, and the broad smile that stood on her face after the handshake was reassuring.

Mme. Tung is HIV Positive, and she was diagnosed in 2002. She was placed on anti-retroviral in 2003 alongside her huband who died in 2011 as a result of HIV opportunistic infections.

Mme. Tung Hellimina. She has been living with HIV/AIDS for the past 13 years!


According to data gotten during a DATA VALIDATION WORKSHOP ON TB/HIV/AIDS organized by the Regional Delegation of Public Health for the North West Region, on the 14-15 of January 2016, Fundong seems to have the highest number of HIV infected persons after Bamenda. Fundong registered the highest number of new infections in the last semester of 2015 (July to December 2015), 649 new cases, and 9 deaths, followed by Bamenda that registered 323 new cases (we all know Bamenda is a big town, and the headquarters of the North West Region of Cameroon). The North West Region as a whole registered 2624 new cases of infections between July and December 2015.

In 2010, with the increasing number of HIV infected persons and deaths in Fundong, Mme. Tung created her association called "A wonda Support Group" for persons living with HIV/AIDS (PLWHIV). The objective of the group is to group PLWHIV and ensure a proper psycho-social follow-up, facilitate access to care and treatment, create awarness on the diseases, and support infected children. "A Wonda Support Group currently has 84 members; 5 men, 18 children, and 61 women.

Mme. Tung is a mother of 8. She is a widow. She is a farmer. In December, she molded mud bricks on people's building sites and raised 6000frs which she used to buy Christmas gifts for the children living with HIV in Fundong.

Rose [second name withheld for fear of stigma] who is the treasurer of the group says her membership in the group has given her hope and also made her to value her life more. "I be think say I go die when dem be tell me for hospital say I get HIV, but now, like mami Hellimina, I know say I fit live longer than people wey dem no get the disease," she says.

Mme. Tung Hellimina says she has lived passed the 'fear of stigma' stage. She says anyone who wants to help her group should contact her. She is open about her status any day any time. She gave me permission to use her pictures any day, any time. If in case you want to contact "A Wonda Support Group," I will pull you through.

In all, my trip to Fundong was a huge success. Even more successful after meeting someone who was so passionate about supporting PLWHIV.

No comments:

Post a Comment