Sunday 4 October 2015

Traveling is Education: Domestic Violence Survivor Cracks the Music World!

Music for the Soul by Micheline Ewang

I remember I have always said that Charlotte Dipanda's "Elle n'a pas vu" is my best music on earth, not until I listened to Micheline Ewang's "Dissongo." As at now, Micheline's Dissongo is the best music in my world, not because we come from the same ethnic group, but because she has done a good job. Trust me, this music is going to uplift your soul. Like all of us, Micheline has a life story that inspires her music and this is what makes her piece of art so soul touching. 

Her Domestic Violence Story

After surviving domestic violence for way too long, Cameroonian songstress, actress, story teller and humanitarian extraordinaire thought it was time to define herself and sing peace. The beautiful Oroko lady from Bombangi Batanga, in Ndian Division of Cameroon says traveling to America opened her eyes to positive realities.

"It is here that I had to put a cloth on that abusive behavior. It is here that I learned that it was wrong. It is here that I knew it was called domestic violence. It is still here in the USA that I learned to become the woman I was before, gain confidence in myself, went back to school and do what I love to do -- music. It is most definitely here that I learned to become the woman that I presently am," Micheline explains with a contagious smile on her face.

Her "Dissongo" Music Debut

Dissongo in a Oroko is a peaceful dance done by women only. If you watch women perform this dance you would agree with me that women are the most peaceful people on earth. The dance steps are mathematcial. It is no doubt that Micheline chose this title for her album.

In her debut "Dissongo" official, she is in a subtle yet serious way telling people that change is possible, for the better. She thinks no one is an island and so it is impossible to live alone "Osa fiti di rai gwe'iti" (hope I got the lyrics right here -- Hihi! Ah, this lady [Micheline Ewang] rocks in this music. I just can't get enough of it. I have been eating up my data since morning just listening to this.



Here is a direct link to the youtube video  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AOyxt_5Mlw&app=desktop

Micheline is seeking a re-connection with herself through her artistic blend of traditional African and Western music.

"With the blend of African and Western music, I'm trying not only to reconcile me with myself, but also to exchange through art my culture and other cultures. I also want to reconnect to my roots," she says. 

Truth be told, I like love this music to the stars and back! I love this chic!!! Hope you love it too!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment