Wednesday 30 September 2015

Traveling to Douala on a Container Clearing Mission? A Foot Disease Awaits You!


The shoes that left me spellbound: 2000frs CFA on rents!
Traveling 322km from Bamenda to Buea, by night, was no small distance for me. It has never been. Passing through the Bamenda - Babdjou stretch, an approximately one hour distance that now takes up to three hours because of the dilapidated nature of the road, was enough to break every active bone my body carried. Over 8 hours on the road, from 10:00pm to 6:30am the next day, there was very little left in my body as strength to carry me for the next busy day. If not for the fact that I have become a power-house traveler, I wouldn't be able to take to the road for another travel on the same day of my arrival in Buea, a travel that is normally charged with active responsibilities in the City of Douala. Buea to Douala is another nightmare; the traffic along the Bonaberi stretch can cause one to fly through the car window like a bird until one gets to her intended destination. That is if witchcraft was ice-cream. Hehehe!

I love Buea, so going to Douala for a crucial container issue would mean I have a stop over in Buea, take a bath, and head out back to Douala. This is for no other reason but for the fact that I LOVE BUEA. I had become too comfortable with the process already as it took me more than a month of back and forth already. Now where was I driving at? Please ask me! I was driving at something really embarrassing but yet unavoidable issue. The Ports shoes.

After having traveled all night for 8 hours, in a road that has lost smoothness, I needed nothing but a relaxed trip to Douala in a hired Carina E. I needed to have my legs aired in a heel-less open sandals that would guarantee a pain-free busy day as I move from one angle of the port to the other for the inspection of my 40feet container. Sad to say I was already late, as a police officer held the documents of my driver that he had to pay bribe for having but a 'certificate of loss' of his driver's license. After spending almost 45 minutes on the police check point, explaining and trying to prove a point, I had to take the biggest risk of my life, to abandon the driver on that spot and take to the steering with a newly acquired driver's license. That was my first time of taking the road on my own in a busy road and town like Douala. I made it, but I made it minutes late and the inspection section of the port is strict with time. If you have ever gone there, you will testify with me. Sometimes I put on the good face and obedient chap when I know I am wrong, and that day, the good face and obedient chap worked for me, I was allowed to enter.

Container was cut open: Inspection of the 40 feet container
But STOP! I had open sandals on, instead of covered shoes. You just can't enter the container section with open shoes, you've got to cover it up. This time, the good face and obedient chap trick didn't work.

"Hey madam, you see that pa standing there, you can rent a pair of shoes from him and get in fast," a port authority cautioned. "Don't look at the shoe quality, just put it on and come in before we lock the gate."

I rushed, and begged the man to quickly give me a pair of shoes on rent. "Deux mille franc ma cherie," the man said. "Yes," I responded. "Bring it out quickly," I ordered. When this man brought the shoes out, my jaws dropped. I looked at my precious feet, then I looked at the shoes, and then I looked at the man, and then I looked at the shoes again. "Put it on and come in faster madam, we are locking the gate," the ports authority shouted. Jesus, I couldn't believe it. Gently, regrettably, and angrily, I put the shoes on and handed a 2000frs note to the man and left. As I walked into the inspection sector of the ports, my heart pounded and all I had in mind was how fast I was going to get done with the inspection and get the disease-infested shoes off my feet. Man, I spent over 6 hours in the port with those shoes on.


The shoes that left me spellbound

It was a sad experience, but I wouldn't let my readers go through that experience, that is why I am bringing you this blog post. And thank God, its been over 7 months now and I have not seen any signs of a foot disease. Should I say my medicated soap and lotions are wonderful? Or should I just say God is wonderful. Don't be a victim like I was.

What to do on the day of 'visite' or inspection of your container at the Douala Port:

  1. Be at the Ports before 1:30pm
  2. Wear covered shoes to avoid renting the dirtiest shoes on earth (no sandals or sleepers allowed)
  3. Come along with a traffic jacket or you will buy one at 1500frs at the port
  4. Go along with your clearing agent, if you have one
  5. Be mindful of the Douala traffic and Police troubles, so leave your house like two hours early if you are coming in from another town
  6. Beware of contraband products like groundnut oil, whisky, wine etc inside your container. They may cause your serious problems with the custom inspectors
  7. Be sure not to leave the inspection ground with anything from the container for it might be seized from you as you are leaving the checking ground
  8. Let your PURSE be FAT. You are going to spend more than you expected at the inspection ground. Hold a few hundreds of thousands. 
  9. A car on hire from Buea to Bamenda, for example, will cost you 25,000frs CFA
  10. Rememer, it will take you at least two weeks to complete the container clearing process at the Douala Ports. To avoid a million dollar stress, get a clearing agent to help you.
  11. If you need contact of a clearing agent, contact me and I will link you to the best ones in the business.
And hey! You can drive down to "Down Beach Limbe" for the best roasted fish and beer after a busy Sunny Day in Douala. I did, almost everyday!





3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the infor.
    Are conditions for clearing a vehicle not carried in a container the same as the above?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Afari, the conditions for clearing vehicles that didn't come in a container are a little different. But again, you will still have to go through the 'visite' process. Thanks.

      Delete